Monday, November 17, 2008

Potty Training Advice Needed!

So Payton is getting close to 2 1/2 years old now and we are sick of changing his poopy diapers! We are hoping to start potty training him after Thanksgiving, but it is our first time so we don't really know where to start. We could really use advice and pointers from anyone who has some experience in this area. He is interested in wearing underwear like his cousin Kayden and no more diapers, so hopefully this will help him along the way. Please leave us comments with your advice on this lovely subject! Thanks!

6 comments:

Drew said...

Whatever you just wanted to post a picture of Payton on the toilet. I see through your thinly veiled ruse!

Danielle said...

My advice is patience and a good sense of humor. You're going to need both!

Amy said...

Never been there, but I know several friends have. Kira (on my blog roll) has posted some resent questions about potty training, maybe there is something there to help. Good luck! I always loved my moms potty and good girl charts that I could put stickers on.

Marci and Matt said...

This will be a long comment I think. Happy times for you! not.
In all serious though... just make sure you have a whole week to dedicate time to him, and don't leave the house. Trying the underwear at home, and then putting a diaper on for going into public (so there aren't accidents) sends mixed signals.
I used a sticker chart with Jaden. After he got so many stickers, he picked out a toy at the dollar store. I also let him set his "special" timer that would go off every 10, 15, 20, 30, min etc. When he heard the timer beep... that meant he would go into the bathroom. He was super easy though... and it took 6 days. Tanner was harder, but still not bad. I got him buzz lightyear underwear and told him buzz would be so sad if he got poop or pee on him. It mostly worked, but I had to resort to threatening to take his blessed blanket away. That worked for sure, but I felt bad. Good luck. Be patient and be OVERLY EXCITED when he does a good job!!
Some people try the "let them be naked around the house"... but that didn't work with me. It made me feel like I had a new puppy in the house leaving pee spots on the carpet! My mom put cheerios in the toilet and would have the boys aim for them. It was a game and they always wanted to play it! =)

Britt said...

I've done it once, but now I need advice for my second too. They're so different! I like Danielle's advice. That is probably the best thing to remember!

Phil said...

Not sure if its still a problem for you- but you'll have another one to try it on soon enough. This worked with one of my girls but not the other. Put them in underwear and put them on a big piece of plastic. Don't let them get off of it for a while. Eat there, watch a movie, read books, whatever you need to so they get lots of no-diaper time. Give them lots of water. The idea is they will feel "naked" and uncomfortable, not like the warm sense of security you get with a diaper. Kiersten was trained in 24 hours with this method.